This year’s summer fete in Albert Square will be on Saturday 6 June.
Please pop it in your diary.
Last year’s fete was a great success: 600 people attended raising money for local charities and we hope to build on that success this year.
We are hoping that those who made sterling efforts last year will be able to help once again, and it would be great to include more people too.
It sounds premature to be putting out requests, but we are only 12 or so weeks away from the event and some planning is involved.
All suggestions and ideas for stalls and events would be warmly welcomed and, of course, volunteers.
Areas to have a think about:
- Gazebos Anyone got a source or have any that they could bring along on the day?
- PA System/ Sound system Anyone with access to this?
- Trestle tables for stalls We borrowed these from the church last time, but could always do with more – do you know of a source?
- Wooden floors for musicians?
- Food Contacts with butchers or any supermarket chain to get free/ discounted food?
- Raffle and prizes– We didn’t have a raffle last year but ideas for prizes and prizes? Do you work at a place which could give a prize? Free hair appointment/ tickets/ toys/ backstage showaround/ meal/ vouchers etc?
- Access to van or truck? for pick up and drop off of PA system, musicians’ floor and any heavy items on the day
- Helpers please. We are always looking for helpers to staff the gate, help with setting up, run the games and a multitude of other things that just need you to help out on the day for a few hours, so please do put down your name and those of your friends for one or two hours help on the day.
- Publicity/ marketing and administration Volunteers for these are also really needed.
- Involving young people For those with teenage children at college and school, we would like to run a mentoring system. In an increasingly CV competitive world, getting involved in a volunteering/ event experience outside of the school environment could be helpful to local young people – as well as helping out organisation on the day. We hope we can involve a group of young adults on the day to pick up experience – and references! – from being involved in the Fete. Skills that could be covered include: Treasurer/ accounts; catering; security; event management generally; PR and marketing; performing arts; graphics; sound systems; purchasing/ fundraising etc.
We are aware that there are many residents who we can involve who are not on the ASSA email list or do not have access to the internet. Please forward this to friends or neighbours, or let us know of contacts to whom we can post the information.
The main organisers for the fete are:
Chris Morrison – 6 Wilkinson Street – 07971 198555 firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosemary Ellis – 5 Albert Square – 0207 793 9538 email@example.com
Please contact them with ideas suggestions and offers by email or by phone.