Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for November 9th, 2008

Old South Lambeth

Aldebert Terrace, 1912

This is Aldebert Terrace in about 1912.  The picture comes from Lambeth Council’s archive, with about 6,000 images available online at the Lambeth Landmark.  Andrew Orange has put a picture of Tradescant Road from the same set up at our neighbouring Tradescant Road and South Lambeth site, and as he observes, the street lights are many fewer than we have now – but other than that, there is little in the buildings themselves to show the passage of time.  The only real change is the faint outline of the building on the corner of Thorne Road and South Lambeth Road, now replaced by modern flats.

Curiously the picture below of St Stephen’s Terrace is dramatically less familiar – despite being taken 50 years later, just a couple of years before the old church was demolished in 1967.

St Stephen's Terace, 1965

Read Full Post »