Posted in Uncategorized on 23 November 2009 |
1 Comment »
Clint Eastwood came to Wilkinson Street on 11 November . He was here to direct his latest supernatural thriller and filmed interior and external scenes on the street. The film stars Matt Damon as a reluctant medium. The screenplay was written by Peter Morgan the Oscar-nominated British Screenwriter of Frost/Nixon and the Queen. Steven Spielberg is an executive producer.
Being a full on Hollywood movie there were large numbers of people and trucks involved, but it seems that a very efficient location team meant there was very little known disturbance or inconvenience.
The Location team made a contribution of £500 to ASSA. This is a voluntary donation. For a number of years these donations have meant that ASSA have been in the position of not needing to charge residents for membership and has allowed ASSA to make contributions to local charities and causes in our neighbourhood. Previous filming in Albert Square has included Love Actually, The Bill, a number of commercials and Prime Suspect.
Suggestions for the use of this money are welcomed. One excellent idea was to buy Gazebos that can be used at the Residents Summer fete and which could also potentially be used by other groups and individuals.
Any further ideas for this money or comments are much appreciated.
Read Full Post »
There will be a ‘Draught Busting Day’ at 6 Wilkinson Street on Saturday, November 21st from 10am to 1pm. Anyone from Albert Square, St Stephens Terrace, Aldebert Terrace, Wilkinson Street or surrounding area is welcome. The focus is on Victorian and Edwardian properties.
A Draught Busting Day is an opportunity to learn how to make your Victorian/Edwardian house warm and cosy in time for the worst of winter.
What will be happening?
- We have sourced draught proofing kits for sash windows that really work. They are normally only available to trade but we have sourced some so you can buy on the day (cost is approx £15 per sash window and they can be fitted with a modicum of DIY skill)
- Demonstrations on how to fit the draught-proofing to sash windows and doors every 45mins
- 10:45am Draught-proofing sash windows
- 11:30am Draught-proofing external doors
- 12:15am Draught-proofing sash windows (again)
- Demonstrations of affordable, removable secondary glazing
- Samples of energy saving lightbulbs that actually work in our houses
- Have a look round at the low cost energy efficiency measures we’ve taken which you could copy in your home
- Contacts with local tradesmen who can help you carry out the work
- Tea and biscuits!
It would help if you could let Chris Morrison know if you’re planning on coming (firstname.lastname@example.org) so he can prepare for numbers but no obligation, feel free to just turn up anytime during the morning.
Read Full Post »
News in from Neil Sanders:
I’m delighted to say that both the latest application for the former Di Lieto site (173-175 South Lambeth Road) and the application to convert the Royal Albert to residential use have been refused.
The South Lambeth Road application has been comprehensively turned down on the basic of architectural quality, the quality of the accommodation that would be provided, overlooking of neighbours, and concerns about parking and traffic. (The loss of employment is not actually mentioned.)
I’m awaiting a copy of the decision letter on the Royal Albert, but the website says that it has been refused.
Read Full Post »