In case you didn’t know, there is an active Neighbourhood Watch group covering the ASSA area. We think the best way to reduce crime and make people feel safe is to develop a community in which everyone feels they have someone to turn to if they are concerned. Our local Safer Neighbourhoods team is led by Sgt Andrew MacLellan with PCs Andi Scott, Kehinde Meshe and Mark Belcher and three PCSOs – you may remember throwing wet sponges at them at the Summer Fete! Here are a few key points about crime in our area:
1. Crime levels: Overall crime levels in our area (Albert Square, Aldebert Terrace, Wilkinson Street and St Stephens Terrace) are relatively low (See the Met Crime Map for details).
2. 999: The police encourage you to call 999 if you see anything suspicious – do not feel you are wasting their time. They will do the prioritising – there may be a patrol car passing the end of the road that could just divert and check it out. There’s no point in telling the police afterwards – if it’s something that may need immediate action, it must be 999.
3. Reporting Crime: If you are the victim of a crime, however minor, report it to the police. Even if you do not need the police to act on the incident, reporting it will provide them with a clearer picture of crime levels and patterns in our area. Crime can be reported as follows:
- Dial 999 in an emergency i.e. you need the police there immediately
- Online (https://online.met.police.uk/) for
- Theft (except where the victim was subject to violence or the threat of violence and burglary)
– Criminal damage
– Theft from a motor vehicle
– Criminal damage to a motor vehicle
– Hate crimes and hate incidents
- Clapham Police Station on 020 7326 1212; 51 Union Grove, Clapham, SW8 2QU for all other crimes.
4. What to do if attacked: If you are threatened or attacked the best thing to do is scream and act as irrationally as possible – people generally don’t know how to deal with a ‘mad person’ and will back off.
5. Free Personal Alarms and Neighbourhood Watch Packs: I have been given 10 personal alarms. These are small key fobs that make a piercing sound when you pull on them. If you would like one please call me on 07971 198555 and come to my house to pick one up – they are FREE. I also have lots of packs which include UV marking pens stickers and useful crime prevention leaflets.